COVID-19 Risk Assessment and Plans Policy
- Participants must conduct an “honesty screening” 48 before attending a course and sign the declaration of health provided.
- Participants who have travelled in the last 2 weeks, are sick or even mildly symptomatic, must be postponed to a later date.
- Participants will be required to wash/spray their hands on arrival, during training, before and after all breaks and when using the bathroom facilities.
- Social distancing protocols will be advised on sneezing, coughing and the avoidance of touching or handshaking.
- Participants will be advised to bring and wear their own mask throughout training.
If they do not, a mask will then be provided to them by the Instructor.
- The use of safely glasses during the training will be encouraged.
- The use of gloves during training is not recommended as this may discourage effective hand washing.
- Participants will be required to bring their own pen to the training.
- Participants who refuse to comply with social distancing protocols and/or hand cleaning procedures will be requested to leave the course.
- The venue must be large enough to allow for social distancing of at least 2m between all seated and/or practising participants. If the venue is not large enough to accommodate this then participant numbers will be reduced.
- If a desk is necessary, ideally, each participant should have their own desk. If participants must share a desk, there must be at least 2m between them.
- Tables to be remove tables where possible during practical training to reduce the chance of surface area contamination.
- The venue should be as well ventilated as possible with all available doors and windows open.
- All unnecessary equipment, furniture, furnishings and books will be removed from the training venue. Only equipment needed for that particular course will be out and on display.
- Individual hand sanitisers and paper towel roll will be provided for each student.
- Soap (preferably self-dispensing) and disposable paper towel will be provided in the bathroom.
- Ideally there should be enough equipment for one manikin, BVM and AED per student.
When sharing, the equipment must be cleaned between each student.
- A small bucket with an alcohol based disinfectant solution and cloth or alcohol wipes will be available for each set of equipment so students can clean their equipment before the next participant.
- Shirts on adult and child manikin will be permanently removed for this period.
- Permanently clothed infant manikins will have the chest and back covered in a plastic sleeves to allow for easy cleaning during the course.
- Each student will be provided with a one-way valve barrier device.
The instructor will explain how to use the device and students will practice inserting and hand placement. It is not necessary during this period for student to practice using their mouths.
- Each student will be provided with their own sterilized pocket mask for the duration of the training.
- Students will be encouraged to re-clean their mask and valve with their own cleaning spray prior to use and as needed for the duration of the course.
- Students will be encouraged to bring their own or buy a pocket mask prior to training if not included that particular course fees.
- Should a student not want to put their mouth on to the pocket mask to practise the skill, it will be acceptable for the student to demonstrate the correct procedure without placing their mouth on the device.
- After training, all equipment will be stripped and cleaned and the entire pocket mask soaked in a bleach or appropriate disinfectant solution.
Family & Friends, CPR for Everyone and Heartsaver CPR
No teamwork is required on these courses.
First Aid, Heartsaver First Aid and First Aid Essentials
Wherever possible, students should demonstrate skills on a manikin or themselves.
In skills where this is not possible, the wearing of masks and hand spay prior and during these sessions is compulsory.
BLS/CPR for Professionals for:
CPD points or general healthcare providers
- During this period, students will not be required to practise any of the team skill sessions. They will only be required to watch these sections on the DVD and have the opportunity to ask questions.
BLS/CPR for Professionals for:
EMS providers, pre-ACLS and those working in an environment where good Team Dynamics are essential
- Students will be required to perform team work practise sessions.
- Wearing of masks and hand spay prior and during these sessions is compulsory.
- All equipment should be cleaned after each scenario before roles are swopped.
During the Team Dynamic section:
- Rescuer 1: Assessment and Chest compressions
- Rescuer 2: Airway and mask seal
- Rescuer 3: Squeezing of the BVM
- Rescuer 4: Uses the AED
- The scenario will be stopped after the AED re-analyses (2 minutes) and constructive feedback provided.
- The equipment will then be cleaned before swopping roles.
- Skills testing will be done on a one on one basis unless EMS/pre-ACLS (see above).
- Equipment will be cleaned between each student tested.
- BLS skills testing for EMS/pre-ACLS will be done as per original skills testing sheets following guidelines laid out in the Teamwork section of this document.
- Written tests will be placed in plastic flip files and cleaned after each course.
BREAKS AND CATERING
- Short limited breaks will be taken.
- Socializing will be discouraged by staggering breaks wherever possible.
- Participants will be required to hand sanitise before and after each break.
- Participants will be required to bring their own refreshment for the duration of the course.
- Coffee/tea will be provided in individual sachets and disposable cups will be used.
- Participants may bring their own mugs.
- Water will be provided in individual bottles or water dispenser with disposable cups.
- An alcohol based disinfectant spray to sanitize the water dispenser and earn tap will be provider between users.
- We will ensure there are adequate dustbins available that do not require students to lift the lid to use.